THE OLDEST INTACT OPERATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE IN THE WORLD
Lonely Planet Guide has listed Hook as the no.1 Flashiest Lighthouse in the World
Lighthouses have a magic and mysticism of their own, none more so than the 13th Century Hook Lighthouse.
The present structure is about 800 years old and is the oldest intact operational Lighthouse in the world. Hook Lighthouse offers guided tours of the lighthouse tower all year round and is one of the top things to do Wexford and Waterford. Climb the 115 steps to the spectacular view from the balcony.
The former lighthouse keeper’s houses now play host to the visitor facilities,
- Gift shop selling gifts of a nautical nature
- Cafe serving homemade soup, sandwiches, various seafood options and fresh scones and cakes from our bakery.
- Art workshops for adults and children are held at the Lighthouse all year round with resident artist Rose.
- Art exhibits and maritime displays.
- Free WiFi available in the café area.
Many festivals, events and family fun days take place at Hook Lighthouse which include our main Maritime Matters Festival held over the May bank holiday weekend, our Pirate Festival in July, our series of Summer Lectures, Heritage week Vintage Day,Ghostly Guided Tours, themed cookery demonstrations, historical re-enactments, charity fundraisers, themed art workshops and much more.
Disclaimer: Hook Heritage accepts NO responsibility for the accuracy of this information. For a detailed weather forecast please contact Met Eireann – http://www.met.ie